We aren’t always the best promotors of ourselves, or even our products. We hold back where we should crow the loudest, or we display proudly the details that aren’t all that meaningful to the audience. It’s hard to remember, but you are not your target market.
Also, it’s very likely that the value of your time has risen to great heights as your business has grown. The cost of a copywriter will pale in comparison to the value of you, creating product and/or business in the way that’s made you successful.
Here are five situations when you need to hire a writer:
1. You’re just no good at it. Not everyone is a great word slinger. If writing isn’t for you, hire or partner with a really good writer to make sure that part of your business is getting the attention it needs.
2. You don’t have the bandwidth Writing is a time-consuming endeavor. there’s a limit to how many words we can consistently get onto the page or screen every day.
3. You need particular expertise You might need a subject expert, or a persuasive sales writer
4. You’re too close to the topic. The reason it’s so hard to move from features to benefits is that it can be really tough to be objective about your own business.
5. The stakes are high. If you’ve got a big launch or an important marketing campaign, you need to make sure your copy is making a great impression.
A writer who’s focus is on engaging the customer can see from a perspective you do not have. And the copywriter’s skill as a story-teller can bring intrigue, mystery, drama: the right kind of lively interest-engaging energy by virtue of that detachment.
Would you benefit from a writing pro on your current project?
Have you used freelance writers in your business? Tell us about your experience.